THE Olive et Gourmando Mac N’ Cheese
Excuse me for the photos, but when you’re alone to make the recipe and take pictures, it’s never obvious. And I owned an old iPhone 4S at the time.
So here’s the recipe for (more) than 6 servings
For this recipe, it is best to prepare the roasted garlic purée and the caramelized onions in advance. (Very important)
Ingredients of the recipe of Olive et Gourmando Mac N’ Cheese
– 4 c. Butter
– 1/2 cup flour
– 3 cups of milk
– 1/2 cup cream
– 1/4 cup cream cheese
– 1/3 cup of blue cheese (Saint-Agur is just perfect)
– 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup of Gruyère cheese in sticks
– 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
– 1 tsp. Of Dijon mustard
– 3 c. Of mashed roasted garlic *
– 3 c. White wine
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Salt to taste
– 4 to 5 cups of mushrooms trimmed and sliced (shiitake, portobello and / or coffee)
– 1 bag of short pasta type Castellane
– 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 2/3 cup Gruyère cheese in sticks
– 1/2 cup of caramelized onions **
– 1/4 cup of truffle paste (optional)
– Salt and freshly ground pepper
– 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
– 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Preparation of Olive et Gourmando Mac N’ Cheese
In a large cauldron, melt the butter with the flour over medium heat without staining. Add about 1 cup milk and whisk until creamy. Add remaining milk and cream. Cook until lightly thickened. Stir in cream cheese and blue cheese. Allow to melt completely. Add remaining cheese and melt again. Add mustard, roasted garlic, white wine and seasonings.
Preheat oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C). Remove the feet from the shiitake and portobello mushrooms before slicing. Place each variety of mushroom on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes – depending on the variety – to dehydrate slightly.
Cook pasta al dente in salted water, drain, spread on a plate, lightly oil and refrigerate.
In a large bowl, mix the two cheeses, dehydrated mushrooms, caramelized onions, truffle paste, cooled pasta and about 3 cups *** sauce.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour into an ovenproof dish (about 9 X 11 inches). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake at 375 ° F (190 ° C) for 15 to 20 minutes.
I recommend you make a salad as an accompaniment and a good white wine, a Sancerre for example, and you will spend a wonderful evening.
* Roasted Garlic: Place a few garlic heads in an ovenproof container and cover almost entirely with olive oil. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 325 ° F (160 ° C) for about 1 hour. Using the fingers, squeeze the garlic heads to extract the puree. Store the scented oil for other purposes.
** Caramelized onions: Place 2 to 3 onions, cut in half and finely sliced with a lot of olive oil in a large frying pan. Cover and sweat over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid at the end of cooking, add a few hazelnuts of butter and let caramelize by stirring a few times. Salt and pepper.
*** Sauce: A surplus of this cheese sauce can be frozen without problem or accompany broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
Adaptation from Dyan Solomon original recipe (in french) on Télé-Québec website.
Pasta lovers? Try our the famous Massimo Bottura Cacio E Pepe Risotto recipeou our our Mushroom Risotto
To taste the original version of the Olive et Gourmando Mac N’ Cheese
351, rue Saint-Paul Ouest
You can also find more recipes in the Olive + Gourmando: The Cookbook