Cocktail of the Week : Leonard Gade by Loic Fortin of Park
For the cocktail of the week, published in Gentologie Magazine Issue 10, we asked Mr. Loic Fortin, bar director at Park restaurant, to develop a cocktail based on Basil Hayden. He came up with a transparent variation of the Espresso Martini. You may know Mr. Fortin better as Loyd Von Rose, his alter ego from his life as a mixologist, where he recently appeared on the series Drink Masters on the popular video-on-demand service, Netflix. So here is the recipe for Leonard Gade by Loic Fortin.
The Leonard Gade recipe by Loic Fortin
Ingredients to mastered Leonard Gade by Loic Fortin of Park
- 3 oz Cold filtered coffee distilled fat washed with grape seed oil
- Basil Hayden 10 Year Orgeat Mousse
- 3 Coffee beans covered in gold
- Pour 3 oz of coffee into a cocktail shaker
- Roll the cocktail from one part of the shaker to the other about 5 times
- Place the mousse on the cocktail
- Carefully place three golden coffee beans
Steps to a successful Leonard Gade by Loic Fortin
A – Distilled Cold Brew Coffee
- 5 L Ground coffee
- 3 L Water
- Grape seed oil
- Brew 5 L of ground coffee in 3 L of water and let stand for 48 hours.
- Place the solution in a still and bring to a boil.
- Decant with a coffee filter.
- Mix the distillation with the same amount of grape seed oil.
- Let stand in the freezer for 4 hours.
- Separate the oil and coffee layers with cheesecloth.
B – Basil Hayden’s Orgeat Foam
- 1 L Pistachios + Vodka (to cover the pistachios)
- 50 ml Rose water
- 250 ml of Basil Hayden 10 years (in SAQ)
- 500 ml Honey
- 500 ml Cashew milk
- MAGIC FOAM MC by Modernist Pantry
- Roast pistachios in the oven, covering them with vodka and rose water.
- Add 500 ml honey, 500 ml cashew milk and pistachios to a culinary food processor.
- Filter everything through cheesecloth.
- Mix 250ml of your pistachio barley with 250ml of Basil Hayden 10 Year Old.
- Add 2% Magic Foam.
- Place everything in a whipping siphon with 2 CO2 cartridges.
C -Golden coffee beans
- Coffee beans
- Gold leaf
- 1L Water
- Fill a container with a litre of water.
- Place gold leaf on top.
- Wrap coffee beans in gold foil.
Here you go, you can now enjoy the Leonard Gade by Loic Fortin from the restaurant Park
Check out this other Basil Hayden recipe, the Golden Hour.